Pages

Sunday, February 15, 2009

A Response

One of my followers (of which there are only 2 at this stage...) asked me 2 questions regarding my blogpost about my new Flickr photos. I only just noticed this comment TODAY (sorry for taking so long to answer, Theresa!) and so here are my responses to her questions. (Brace yourselves, these are a little long-winded)

1. Which one is your ultimate favorite? - Why? and was it one of the easier or harder ones to do? 
This was a really difficult question to answer, because choosing a favourite artwork is like choosing a favourite child... Because my works span across several different genres/mediums (or media? i don't know) and also since they were done over several years, it's hard to choose just one. If you were to ask "What's your favourite watercolour?" or "...jewellery item?" or "...drawing?" etc. that might be a little easier to answer. In general though, i tend to like the artworks that i do on the spur of the moment a little better than the planned ones. Like, the assessment pieces I did for uni won't be as high up as the works I did when I got a little bored at home. Like you saw with the drawing of the man's head, that was completely spur of the moment. I feel that work is a little more superior than the life drawings and the acrylic paintings, simply because I wasn't doing it for anyone else, I was doing it for me. (Not that i'm singling out this work in particular as my Favourite). I'd say i love them all, but I don't really. But i can't single any out either. It's a hard thing to do. Also, when I'm working on new stuff, I don't want to rest on my laurels... It kind of stunts the creative process. 

2. Which one was the hardest for you? Both conception and actual artistry?
In terms of actual artistry, the hardest work was probably the gold and black necklace, simply because of the sheer fiddliness of putting it together. While I had the pattern in my head, I was still figuring out the best method of construction in my head as I went, so if I did it again, knowing what I've learnt from making it the first time, it will turn out a lot better since I will have some idea of what to do. Conceptually, while not exactly the hardest but the longest, was Happy Place: Pixelated. Since the whole exercise was about process and development and seeing where these things can take you, this one ended up with an incredibly long process. There are more works from this concept strand which I have yet to upload, which were done more as studies of my area. The rest of my works, with their high levels of spontenaeity, lack solid concepts. Not that this is necessarily a bad thing... Sometimes forcing concept into art is detrimental to the outcome. Art should never be forced. 

Ok, there you have it. I hope you enjoyed, and please don't hesitate to post more comments/questions regarding this topic. Or any topic for that matter. I like questions! I promise more long winded responses to the best questions. :D And a cookie :P

Right. That's enough from me. Now to hear from you <3

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for answering back, I appreciate it :) It's actually awesome that you took the time to think about it and write a good response cause I was looking for something really insightful and was trying to pick at your brain. I enjoyed reading your comments cause they truly came from the heart and an artist's standpoint and they were insightful indeed, you weren't afraid to take the time to explain so the reader could understand your underlying meaning, well done :) Your work is very kickass and I enjoy checking out the pictures, so bravo on all that you do. And uh, what kinda cookie am I getting? haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Best kind... Chocolate chip :)

    ReplyDelete