Pages

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Punishment Week 2 - Day 1

So here it is. As promised. My review of "Road to Paradise" by Paullina Simons. It was a long read. Very thick and detail-heavy. The story was intriguing. Probably because it layed out all the problems and dilemmas of the three main characters and detailed their expectations for the future, establishing a desired resolution that the reader then comes to expect. So it threw me off a bit when I reached the end because I wasn't sure if I was really ready for what eventuated. 
The prologue describes a scene which actually eventuates towards the end of the book. It doesn't reveal everything (obviously, if it did there would have been no point in reading on) just enough to keep you guessing like a madman. Paullina does this deliberately, I think, to help you draw the wrong conclusion and throw you off the scent. Which is why the end feels like a hairpin bend taken as fast as the yellow '66 shelby mustang at 137.6 m/h. I think though, that is the mark of a really good book. Immediately after finishing, I felt I had almost been cheated of the ending I was expecting, but after a few days to let it sink in, I really feel like it's up there with some of the best books I've ever read. Why? Because it has stayed with me. I had to keep thinking about it to process it, let the ending sink in. Let's face it; it's not Twilight, it's not the insanely page-turningly compulsive Da Vinci Code. It's not even the easy-to-read Harry Potter. But it is really good. Granted I had to sit myself down for a few good hours to make myself finish it, but it was worth every second. It really didn't have any happily-ever-after, but I like that it kept so much closer to reality. Every bit of it might actually have happened. It's believeable. A little out of the ordinary, but believeable. 

Being raised in a Christian home, I was familiar with the ongoing debate between Gina and Candy. I've had it myself many times with high school friends... only i'm sure Candy had a better understanding than i did... do... :)

There is only one slightly negative thing i have to say about it, and that is the style of writing that Paullina uses didn't seem to match the plot. The action parts didn't feel urgent or fast enough to really create the excitement or movement that they demand. Maybe it was just the speed at which i was reading... sometimes I read, and subconsciously skim and skip over bits that may or may not be pivotal to the storyline. So that little dilemma could be purely my fault, in which case, this book is actually the perfect book. 

Addressing the issues of growing up, finding the you that you didn't even know that you were or could be (or something... don't worry if that confused you... i'm a little confused myself) and learning to accept others the way they are and not judge by exteriors, this book is pretty much THE ultimate coming of age story. 

I rate it 4 1/2 stars. 

I may eventually read it again, just to see what else I can pick up on... but maybe not for a while, since i'm already behind on the 50 Books In A Year goal. Right now, though, time to get reading the next book. Probably Non-fiction this time. I'll let you all know.

Oh and if you're interested, Paullina Simons has a new blog, which can be found here

Until Tomorrow,

I bid you farewell!

1 comment:

  1. hi lucy! I read your review of the book...and i have to say that it's very interesting (hope that will be out in Italy soon, 'casue we've got just 3 books of paullina: the trilogy of tania and shura) however, your rate is 4 1/2 on 5..so, i'm curious to know if you have read The Bronze Horseman and what do you think about it? could you make some comparison between The famous trilogy and Road To Paradise...

    thank you very much for your attention! hope to see your answer really soon!

    DARKinside

    p.s. you could answer on my blog!

    ReplyDelete