Pages

Sunday, February 8, 2009

Oh HAAAY

I just realised that since the punishment blogs were EXTRA, today is still my scheduled blogging day, and so i must post again. This time i will talk about the Victorian Bushfires.

I am actually scared to turn the TV on now, because every time I do, the death toll has risen by another 5 or 10. The news paper printed this morning said death toll was at 14... now it's over 80... but i don't know the exact number, and i'm not sure i want to find out either.

I haven't been personally hit by the tragedy, but for some reason it's really upsetting me. I don't know what it is. I hate to say this because it makes me sound coldhearted, but I don't usually get upset by the tragedies on the news. Earthquakes, Tsunamis, i didn't really get upset...which i originally put down to not having any emotional connection to people affected... But this... even though the death toll is astronomically lower....(disclaimer: I realise that when it comes to death, quantity is nothing... death is still bad, no matter what the body count) for some reason i keep feeling like crying. Even though, like i said, i don't have any connection to people who lost lives, loved ones or belongings... Is it because this time the tragedy hit our country? Or maybe because only a month ago, I was down in Melbourne myself... before the scorching heatwave, and the deadly inferno that still rages down there now... Perhaps it was because once we came so close to having our house eaten by fire too... Wow... feeling this way now almost makes me feel guilty for not having felt this way before for other tragedies... aagh catch 22.

The worst part of it all: some of the fires have been confirmed to be deliberately lit.

The other major catastrophic event happening in Australia now is the flooding up in northern Queensland, caused by Cyclone Ellie (i think that's what they named this one). So while Victoria is burning up, North Qld from Weipa to Townsville is being swept away. The really unnerving thing is that I live in Brisbane... sandwiched between 2 disasters. And yet our weather is fabulous. Clear blue skys we had today... no excessive winds, just perfect weather. I know we've been so blessed... but i have to wonder, is this the calm before the storm? Is Brisbane next? I know we did have a few horrific storms a few months ago, flooding and such... but is there something worse on the way? I have already heard that there might be some fires in NSW too...

Dear God... when will this end?

No comments:

Post a Comment