Pages

Monday, March 2, 2009

Punishment Week 2 - Day 7

Finally. Another week of daily blogging has come to a close. But be not sad, for there will surely be more of these to come :) knowing me, I am likely to forget again soon. I will strive not to, but no promises. 

As I type this, I am listening to a song on YouTube, being performed by Zoe Keating on cello. The title of the song is TetrisHead, and I have to say, I am completely mesmerised. I don't know how she does it. Oh, and I should mention how I came to stumble upon this video: I was reading the blog of another friend from Twitter, and there was a link to this video on her blog. You can read her blog here and this is the video here. Go check them out, because they are both made of awesome.

Anyway, I remember I have been promising a review of Paper Towns for days now. So, I guess, here it is. 

At first when I started reading, I was excited to read, of course, but with all the hype surrounding the book, I had to wonder if it would live up to my expectations. And, of course, it surpassed them. It was a fairly quick read, for me at least. After reading Road To Paradise, this one was easy peasy. I have to reread it now though, because in my haste I fear I may have missed important details. 
But yeah. So i guess what I'm giving you today is more just an initial reaction. So. Yeah.
Second novel in a row that features teens racing across the country after graduation. Interesting coincidence. Kind of makes me wish I had done the same after I had finished school, but oh well. 

It was a fantastic read though, I recommend it not only to Young Adults (the audience for which it was intended) but for anybody who is young at heart. It's not like all the other chick-flicky teen novels you see around these days. There is real substance and emotion that anyone can relate to, no matter what your age. 

I also love that even though John is a 31 year old writing to a teenage audience, he never once wrote down to the readers level. He respects his audience, which is key, when the bulk of your audience call themselves Nerdfighters. He speaks their language.

There is really so much more to say about this book, but for fear of spoiling it for those who are still yet to enjoy it, I really can't say much more of it here. I just really, really, really strongly recommend that you read it if you haven't. If you have, you'll know what I'm saying. Also, you'll know the value of rereading this masterpiece. 

That's about all I can think of to say for now. 

KBAI!

No comments:

Post a Comment