Pages

Thursday, April 23, 2009

Day 23

Is just a touch late...

I said yesterday that this entry would be answering more questions. 

Today's first question comes from Beth:
What's a common misconception people have about Australia that drives you crazy?

Thank you, Beth. I'm glad you asked.
This could be another long one, folks*

There are many misconceptions that drive me crazy. Some are founded on truths or half-truths, others merely on rumours or assumptions which slowly turn into fact as they are slowly accepted into a society's way of thinking. Here is my shortlist:

-That everyone here knows/talks/acts/lives like the Irwins/Mick Dundee
Wrong. We don't all know all the celebrities who stereotype our nation's character, although, in Steve Irwin's case, that was just plainly me not being interested in visiting Australia Zoo. I only live just over an hour and a half away. It wouldn't have been an expensive, time-comsuming exercise. It's just, when the big guy was still with us, it was kinda tacky. Plus I was about 16 at the time, so going to the zoo was a bit naff. But in general, they're famous. They don't know everyone in the counrty, as that's pretty much impossible. So if you asked me if I knew them, I'd most likely have to say NO***. As far as embodying the stereotypes, the Irwins act like the Irwins. Paul Hogan acts like Mick Dundee. The rest of us act like normal people. If you want a pop culture reference to see how us Aussies live, try the classic movie: The Castle, or better yet, check out Natalie aka CommunityChannel on YouTube. Also, most of us do not speak in either the enthusiastic accent or the the broad, lazy drawl that goes hand in hand with the croc hunter/outback stereotype. We instead choose to speak like NORMAL people, because that's what we ARE.

-That our diet consists entirely of a cold beer and a shrimp on the barbie'
Wrong again. Most of us know how to eat a perfectly balanced diet that includes neither of these in compulsory daily consumption. Also, I'd like to point out here that no one in their right mind eats shrimp cooked on a barbeque. We eat charred sausages and steak, because those meats are cheap, and somehow are still edible even WITH a carbon coating. Seafood, however, is much more expensive. You don't contaminate expensive delicacies like shrimp by charring them on the hotplate of a gas-powered barbeque. It's like buying something specifically to ruin it. It's pointless, and wasteful, and believe it or not, us Aussies actually have a little bit more common sense than that. 

-That all Aussies live in the Outback, and are either Bushies, Drovers or Battlers.
Come on. That one's more than a century out of date. There's plenty of evidence to contradict this too, for example, the fact that about 99.9% of us live on the coast line; NOT in the outback. Also, I have internet access, as do many other Australians. If I lived in the outback, and was a Battler, that kind of implies not having the means to access the internet. None of you would know me, and I wouldn't know you. I may not even know my next door neighbours, because their property and my own would seperate the houses by at least 3km**. I'd look after the house and raise the kids single handedly, because Daddy is out droving cattle or shearing sheep.
Puh-lease. 

-That all Aussies must be great swimmers...
Because that's all we ever win at the Olympics, isn't it? Well, that and Diving***. Water-related sports in general. And, I will have to say, yes, that is all we seem to excell at consistently on the world stage. We scored a few extras nine years ago in Sydney, but home ground advantage played a HUGE roll in that one, as it does in every international sporting competition. We have swimmers in the finals of nearly every race in the swimming, but as far as Gymnastics, Athletics, Bicycling, team sports and ANYTHING to do with the Winter Olympics goes, we're practically non-existent. So we like the water. Maybe so for the few who reach international level, but NOT ALL OF US ARE AMAZINGLY FISHLIKE IN THE POOL. I like swimming, and can perform a basic stroke, but after a single lap, I feel almost as if drowning might have been an easier way to go. So yes, Australia (or more specifically, Queensland) breeds swimmers, but I was definitely not blessed in that area. Are all americans capable of swimming as fast as Michael Phelps? No. Same goes for us.

I think that's about all the misconceptions I can think of for now. The big ones, anyway. Not that you all think these things. I trust that you are all intelligent enough to know that none of these are true without me needing to clarify, but sometimes, I feel it needs to be said. This urge often arises at moments like when I hear an american actor attempting to speak in an Australian accent ~cringe~, or when I hear the phrase "throw another shrimp on the barbie". Damn 80's tourism campaign. I much prefer "So where the bloody hell are ya?". Much less detrimental to our reputation (ironically). 

It's way past my bedtime, so I'm going to leave it there. Hope you all have a wonderful day. I'm on a long weekend now, since my saturday shift was cancelled on account of ANZAC Day. Apparently everything is closed, and my eyes will be, too. First saturday morning sleep in in, like forever, HERE I COME!! Also expected: long long blog entries, and more ANSWERS!! YAY!

Ok, that's my cue to leave. Will read blogs SOOON (I feel kinda bad that i haven't read most of your BEDA stuff yet, but FEAR NOT. The long weekend is about to begin!)

GOOD NIGHT AND DON'T FORGET TO BE ZZZZzzzzzzz......

*but, no promises. This post is already late :S
**that's about 2.2 miles, for those of you still using the Imperial system... geez, get with the times. Metric is what it's all about these days. 
***Speaking of diving and knowing famous people, there is one that I CAN say I know. Matt Mitchum, the 10m Platform champion in Beijing went to my highschool, and was in my sister's grade. He was amazingy smart, but a complete rebel. So naturally, he and my sister and their friends hung out a lot. He came round to our place so much at one point that it became acceptable for him to enter through the back door, and he started addressing my mother as 'mum'. He also once gave my sister a lovebite. Not an actual genuine one, but an I'm-being-silly-at-school-and-feel-like-getting-you-into-trouble kind of one. They also cut each other's hair, and hung out in the city. You know that 'break from training' he said he went on? He clubbed. A lot. True story. I'd get you guys an autograph from him too, except that I haven't seen him since way before Beijing. But you can check, if you don't believe me. He's my friend on Facebook. :P

4 comments:

  1. OMG, you like KNOW a famous olympic athlete!!! lol ;-p But really, that's pretty cool.

    So I'm sure you already have enough questions to answer but what is ANZAC Day? I think I've heard about it b4 from other Aussies but don't really know anything about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh stereotypes...aren't they just fantastic? Lol. There are a lot of dumb stereotypes for Americans, too. I just wish that more of the general population of EVERY country could be more educated about people from all the other countries. The world is sooo silly.

    As always, I enjoyed reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I decided to comment on your real blog today instead of going through the pains of the MJ Ning. Thank you for this. I completely agree that we all need to be reminded that people are people and NOT stereotypes. I know I definitely need to be reminded of these things.

    Oh and I totally laughed at the part about the Irwins. I have never been to Australia, but I have certainly never thought all Australians were like that. Though I guess when people watched Steve's show, they deduced that Australia=Steve Irwin. How silly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a great post. Really well written, entertaining and made me laugh out loud. Well done!

    ReplyDelete