Pages

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Day 14 Part 1

I'm only posting this now in a vain attempt to take my mine of the throbbing pain in my mouth. Before you ask, no, I did not get my foot stuck. I did, however, experience another run in with Mr Dentist Man. Oh, excuse me, I meant Dr Dentist Man. This time I am 2 fillings up and one tooth down as a result.

But I'm not going to make the same mistake I made last time I visited the dentist and blog a detailed play by play that paints such a graphic picture in your mind of my experience that you need ongoing therapy for the next 6 months. Instead, I'm going to talk about just how awesome Pokemon is.

I was obsessed with Pokemon. In every sense. The gameboy games, the TV show, the trading cards, I loved it all. I even used to spend time drawing (read: copying, but not tracing. I was above tracing) pictures of them. I even went through a phase where I would make up my own pokemon... but I wasn't very original. I just took parts of a whole heap of different pokemon and mixed them all together into a tangled mess.


So you can see just by looking at these stunning examples just how obsessed I was. Also says a lot about my drawing/copying skills at age 11, but we're not going there...

Anyway, it wasn't until about a week ago that I realised that I had forgotten about this obsession, buried deep in my childhood. I saw three videos sitting on one of our shelves, the 1st, 2nd and 3rd movies, and decided to find out if a fourth movie existed. As it turns out, a fourth movie does exist. In fact, a tenth movie exists. I kind of got a little overwhelmed with this extreme feeling of being out of the loop, and promptly purchased the 4th movie on DVD from eBay. GOD I love that site. So, on Good Friday, I ended up watching the movie twice. The first time I was by myself, as the family had gone out to see an Easter Pageant during the day, and I was pretty much on my own. The second time, I just HAD to show it to my sister. It was beyond adorable. Even if it did lack a consistent plot line.

Currently, I am waiting on the fifth movie in the mail, and realise I have a HECK of a lot of catching up to do, as I haven't watched the show since its first season, and it is currently in its tenth season (presumably... there are 9 boxed sets on DVD and it doesn't seem to have stopped). I am so getting them all. I know. I am such a kid. And a nerd. And a money-wasterer. And I should be saving for a car. But. I honestly feel that this will be worth it in the long run.

I also got out my old GameBoy Color (remember those? I got mine in 2000... I can't believe they're classed as 'retro' now...) and reacquainted myself with the Red and Silver versions of the game. I wrote out a comprehensive list of all the pokemon missing from my pokedexs, and the best ways of going about getting them. Like I said. Nerd. Yeah.

Ok, I'm going to stop there, since typing about childhood obsessions is no longer proving an effective distraction from the pain and the blood in my mouth. Oops... too much information?

<3

1 comment:

  1. Bah to dentists mutilating our mouths! :-p I know the pain/bleeding and then some, lol.

    I was never a Pokemon person. I was more into Digimon. I experienced a similar thing tho with only seeing the first few seasons and then later realizing there was more. I caught up online for a while but gave up, and then recently noticed one of the cartoon stations was showing the newer season, which was cool but weird since it seemed the style had kinda changed over time. Good luck on catching up tho! It's always fun to relive (or keep living) our childhood.

    ReplyDelete