Pages

Friday, April 3, 2009

BEDA Day 3 - Australian and Foreign Slang

So I was catching up on tweets this morning, when I found one from @johnnydurham which started with the word "crikey". As you probably know, this single word is the famous catchphrase of the late Steve Irwin, and before him, Paul Hogan as Crocodile Dundee. Both Aussie icons. So one would conclude that "crikey" is indeed Australian Slang... which is why it was funny to see it being used by @johnnydurham who is indeed British (for those uninformed) (ha, i used indeed twice in the same sentence :P)

There was also another instance a while ago where twitter friend @livin4hymn (aka Sean) shortened "goodnight" to "g'night" for his final tweet of the night... and @OSUBrit (Dave) pointed out that this word compression in fact belongs to Aussies as well (I really wasn't too sure about this - I know "g'day" is ours, but not too sure about "g'night"... but for these purposes, we'll say it is, k?).

Both of these instances made me think about borrowing slang from another country. Is it ok by you guys if I say "blimey" or "y'all"? Do you mind if I borrow your slang? Because I do, all the time. :P. Also, it's totally ok by me if you want to borrow our slang.

Also, IMO, Aussie slang has to be the most unique of them all. At least, it's the one that makes me laugh the most. For example, at the end of the workday, when we say "well, I'm off" we usually follow it up with one of these elaborations: "I'm off like a frog in a sock" or "I'm off like a bucket of prawns in the sun". Seriously, Aussie slang just makes the English language that much more fun.

Please leave a comment: What's your favourite slang word/phrase, either native or foreign? (please keep it clean :| ) The wonderful thing about the internet is that we can all experience a little bit of each other's cultures without even leaving our homes. Also, I don't mind if you want to leave 2, 3, 10, 20, 100 comments. PLEASE DO! I'll love you forever!

BEDA DAY 3 = SORTED!!! :)

See ya TOMORROOOOW

2 comments:

  1. Hmm...I'd have to say that one of my favorite slang (if it even is slang) is the phrase "pwn" because...well...it's just so funny, and really bad grammar, and it just makes me laugh. Especially when my US History teacher said it in class today about Japan winning a war against China....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sorry to disappoint, but it is originally an english slang word, but very definitely now adopted as an Australian slang usage. It is one of the many alliterative or assonant substitute words for 'Christ' used to avoid causing offence or committing blasphemy. Alternatives are Crumbs, Cripes, Cripey, etc. My favourite is probably 'Gordon Bennet' used in exactly the same way as Crikey, that is to express shock or surprise at something. The derivation is murky, possibly relating to a real person (possibilities are a drunken American financier and an Australian Lieutenant General who served in WW1 and WW2). It is possibly an extension of another blasphemy avoidance phrase. Instead of saying Oh God! (pronounced Oh Gawd! by Victorian Londoners) it became extended to Gordon Bennet. Particularly useful for use when hitting thumb with hammer in front of Grandma!

    ReplyDelete