Pages

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Sugar

I was thinking about sugar the other day. You hear about it all the time nowadays. Some scientist has discovered another reason why it's detrimental to your health, there's a million reasons why you should avoid sugar in vast quantities of your daily intake, and let's not forget the real sugar vs sweetners debate.

But no matter what people say about sugar, there is one thing that will always be true. I can't live without sugar. I am a sweet tooth. 100%. If there is a sweet option over savoury or spicy or sour or whatever, i will always opt for sweetness.

I don't understand Sour lollies. Sour worms and Sour gummies... what's the point? They strike me as the most indecisive lollies out there. "I can't decide whether I want to eat something sweet or something sour, so i'll just have both". Kind of pointless, but i thought i'd mention it.


Anyway... the thing that got me thinking about all this was a book I saw featured in Big W (great source, i know) called Sweet Poison. I'm not sure who it was by, but i'm sure they're evil. Basically, the book makes the claim that sugar is not only fattening, but really really detrimental to your health. This makes me depressed. Surely something that makes you feel so good can't be so bad, can it? I can't understand this at all. Sugar is one of my primary dietary necessities, without which i couldn't live... or at the very least, exist at a sub-standard level.

Let's be realistic here, people. I don't think i'm alone here. I think there are many other people out there who regard sugar with the same level of esteem as I (shush, i'm allowed to not make sense at this hour >:( ) and who are just as unprepared to give up such a dominant factor of their diet, just because of some scientific claim that it's now not only not good for us, but apparantly really really bad.

You know i think the reason that we continue to consume sugar at such a high quantity is that we know it's bad for us. That's what makes it sooooo goooooooood. ~drools~

No comments:

Post a Comment