Pages

Friday, December 19, 2008

Creative Machine - A christmas assortment

Ok, so i have about a thousand things i want to blog/ramble on about.
Let's get started shall we?


PART 1 - Performing and Fun.
Should these things go hand in hand? I was thinking about this the other day while at work, because, well, what else is my brain supposed to do for 8 hours? So i assessed the requirement for an element of fun in performance. Here's my summary:
OK, So you want the audience to enjoy your performance? Then enjoy yourself. Plain and simple, right? You can't expect people to enjoy themselves if you insist on a rigid, serious, performance. There is a certain amount of showmanship that one must show in order to deliver a good performance. There has to be a level of emotion in what you are putting across that your audience can relate to.
BUT you don't want to overdo it. I've seen this done on occasion. One particular year in a choir competition, the last choir to perform did a show-choir rendition of Bohemian Rhapsody (yes, i can hear your screams of terror from here). When they reached the guitar solo in the middle of the song, i kid you not, the WHOLE CHOIR was jumping up and down on the rises playing air-guitar. This is an example of OTT fun in performance. I suppose the key thing to remember is that fun is ok, but sacrificing quility of performace for the sake of having fun is not. Fun should enhance your performance, not overtake it or ruin it.


PART 2 - My Favourite Things - A Christmas Carol?
Another thing i was reduced to thinking about while at work. I work in a pharmacy in a Shopping Centre. The only thing we have to listen to in the way of music are the christmas carols being churned out over the PA system. This is where i got confused... one of the song i heard was "My Favourite things" from The Sound Of Music... They never play this song at any other time of year, just around christmas; and yet, the story of The Sound Of Music has nothing to do with Christmas, and neither have the lyrics been altered to channel any form of Christmas-specific cheer... this is what i like to call Lazy Playlisting. The people in charge of the Centre Playlist, even though there is an endless assortment of ACTUAL christmas carols to choose from, got too lazy to think of anything better to include, and just said, 'yeah, chuck it in, it's close enough'. Evidently said people have never seen The Sound Of Music. Ok, so while most people can't tell the difference, I can. And it bugs me. Just thought I'd share.


PART 3 - Bus Rides
So this is pretty high on my list of reasons why it sucks not to have my license yet.
Did you ever hop on a bus and choose a seat that you thought would be a nice, quiet spot only to have a bunch of rowdy teens hop on just before the bus leaves the station and break the peaceful solitude that you had hoped to enjoy? So much for a peaceful ride home.... ~grumbles~


PART 4 - Christmas Presents
So we're currently about 6 days out from christmas, and i have barely started my shopping. Now, buying presents should be fun, right? Not when you're trying to save every penny for an interstate trip for a friend's January wedding. I have money, but i feel like i'm broke. I could make everyone something, right? 6 days... i might have left it a bit late... So it looks like i'm reduced to buying cheap stuff again. Note to self: be a little more prepared next year please, you got yourself into this mess, don't let it happen again.



I think that's enough for now. I'm sure if you're still reading this (if you are, you're a real trooper, i commend you) you must be sick of my tiresome ramblings by now. I just had to get them out of my system. There's bound to be more where this came from though...


Next time: Pet hates of a Retail Assistant

No comments:

Post a Comment