Pages

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

School Assignments and Term Projects.

Hey guys.
So, surprise surprise, I fell off the horse again. BUT, do you know what the best thing to do when you fall off is? Get straight back on. Before fear/shame/whatever is stopping you sets in.
K, I'm done preaching... On to the blog post!


If you read my lil ol' blog here on a regular basis (that is, whenever I post something) you will know that my studies recommenced last week. I started a diploma of Graphic Design :D So far I absolutely love it. For once, starting something new I don't feel like the most awkward person on the planet, and I actually got excited every time we got a new assignment. I know right? I have been tol so many times that this enthusiasm quickly fades, but I am going to make a conscious effort not to let it wane. I want to get the ball rolling, and quickly, and I want it to keep up that momentum, if you follow. I know I chuck a lot of random metaphors into my blog posts, but I can't help it, it's just how I write, so you'll just have to roll with me.

ANYway, you guys are all smart, so I think I can safely assume that you all catch my drift.

I'd discuss my assignments with you now but 1. that would make for a very boring blog post, 2. I will show and tell them as I finish them; that way, I can show you the good ones and leave out the shockers, and 3. I am already tired, and don't have the mental patience to type it out for your reading pleasure (well, not just now anyway) You'll just have to wait to hear about them :D

Ok.

The other thing I wanted to talk about is what is happening at my young adult group at the moment. We've started these things called Term Projects. The reason for this is, often these days, kids and young adults will come along on a sunday night, encounter the Lord, and have an awesome time hanging out with everyone, but then they go home, and fall back into the same old life patterns and not really bring much of the awesome home with them. The idea is that with each term, or section of the year, we will be focusing on something different. The first of these started on Sunday night, and the topic is Love. Not just any love though, at least not in the sense often meant in popular culture (eg. I love my family, I love music, I love ice cream, I love that movie, etc) but God's love for us. One of the biggest points I got out of it was that real love is not just (as Chrishan puts it) something that we associate with a positive feeling or emotion. It is not necessarily something we feel for other people or things. Love starts with God. It is because He loved us that we are able to love. (see 1 John 4:7-12 (i'd type it in here but it's pretty long. Find the Message version here - first 2 paragraphs))

The aim is to become more loving people through a daily revision (or something) of what Love is (see here) and to try to show love more through our day-to-day lives, not just to those we love, but to our enemies too.
I personally really love that we are doing this, mainly because I was one of those kids who didn't bring the awesome home with me, and I find I kick myself a lot for not doing devotionals or praying enough - or at all - so this is something simple to start with, and build on.

I know this preachy style isn't what you guys are used to reading on here, but I just had to say what was on my heart, and, more importantly, I want to be able to track my progress somewhere. So, I will probably be writing about this kind of thing more often.

I know some people aren't entirely comfortable with this topic. It's touchy, and often controversial. I don't write this kind of thing here with the intention of stirring up a massive debate on beliefs, or religion or whatever. I don't do it with the intention of shoving it under your nose, or bible-bashing you, or anything else. I write about this because this is part of who I am. If this blog is going to stand a chance of accurately reflecting or representing my life, then I need to write about this every now and again.

I love and respect you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment