Pages

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL!! *jumps on Marlin*

Wow. I'm going to start by saying just how glad I am to be going back to school.

I am SO glad to be back. SO glad.
Get ready guys. I'm about to take you on a journey with me, through My First Day Back At School.
Ready? Good

After waking up much earlier than I am used to (what is the meaning of this, 7am?!) I gulped down a hairy lemon, sipped a cup of tea made by my sister :) and showered, dressed and, well, I didn't eat. I skipped that part because I was too damned excited to think about doing anything else but get to school! ...and, I was running a wee bit late. Not to worry, though. Caught the eight o'clock bus in to the bus station, and transfered to an inbound express route there, and hey presto, twenty minutes later, I was there. I was at TAFE.

When I reached my building, I took about two minutes to see where each of my classes would be. Easy enough, they're mostly on the same level, right next to each other. Only one class (History of Design) is in the auditorium on the opposite side of the campus. Easy enough. Then I proceeded to spend the next ten minutes or so checking and replying to people on twitter, so as to avoid the awkward sitting-and-not-talking-to-classmates-I-have-yet-to-meet thing. My teacher/lecturer/tutor (not sure what to call him...) was there early, so I went in. There were already a handful of students seated at one of the tables, so I did what made the most sense; I joined them. Being the introverted creative types we were, no one was talking. I pretended to check my phone again, but the instructor started early. He turned out to be a pretty funny chap. Swiss born, still pronounces his rather colourful language in his lingering accent. He really likes to talk and retell war stories from back when he was a young GD. It's good though, because every story he tells is relevant.

Anyway, the class I had was Typography. Now, before you groan to yourself and think "Oh GAWD. How positively mind-numbing. Could there be a more boring topic to study on the face of the planet?" (to which I would answer: Yes. It's called Maths. Also Science, which, so the nerds INFORM me, is just applied Maths) it was actually really interesting. I'd go as far as saying it was fascinating. Now, for the sake of not stretching this post out too far (it's late already) I'll go into a more in-depth explanation of exactly WHAT typography is at a later date. Perhaps when my brain is a bit less fried.

We had a fairly long introductory discussion about Typography. I also took notes not only on the subject matter, but also some of the funny things that came out of my professors mouth (that's what I'll call him - Professor). Not necessarily the funniest things to read, but they were interesting/entertaining coming out of his mouth. Things like "Political correctness gives me the $%^!#". Describing one of the example typefaces (and keep in mind: it's JUST a font) (he'd probably deck me for saying that) he came out with "It's like getting your teeth pulled". I'll save up some more gems for later and distribute them evenly throughout this here blog at a later date. Maybe I'll add it as a treat at the bottom of my Monday posts (and possibly Tuesday as well... I have him then too). I got a real corker for the end of this one.

...Ok, maybe it's not THAT great... Could be more of a be-there kind of thing...

Anyway, then we took a break, I got a delicious-but-too-expensive-to-get-everyday, white-chocolate-and-raspberry muffin. I'm probably going to have to learn to make them. So gooood.


After break, we were shown a PowerPoint Presentation on the general awesomeness of Typography. Really. It was awesome. Then when the Slide Show of Awesome was complete, we were given our first assignment. A Self Portrait, using only typefaces. I'll definitely have to show you guys when it's done. I'm really looking forward to doing it.

I stayed behind after class to ask the Professor about possible pathways to the College of Art across the road (the very same institute I quit from at the end of 2008.) It seems if I manage to snag an offer (only 5 DipGD students will be made an offer), I will only need to take on one uni subject in second semester next year along with my Diploma studies. If I manage to do this, I can complete both a Diploma and a Degree in the same amount of time it usually takes to complete one degree (three years) So I'll be saving myself 2 years :). If I don't get it, I'm still considering study overseas, although there is still finances to take into account... We'll see, I suppose.

I have more stories of today to tell you all about, but they will have to wait.

ANYway, it's nearly 12, and I have class at nine. Time for sleeps.
Hopefully I'll see you tomorrow.

Nail colour: Still the ever-sexy Oscar Eveing.
Professorism: (in regards to McDonalds' brainwashing of innocent children's minds) "Those bastards are Perverts". Again, be-there thing. It was funny though, I promise.
T-Shirt Caption: [Picture: Loading bar at about 70% complete] THINKING... Please be patient

Did I ever mention how much I like T-shirt captions? I feel like I have brought this up before...
Submit your own, if you like.

1 comment:

  1. Hi. I am a bit behind in catching up on blog/tweet Reading but just wanted to wish you all the luck in the world with your studies.

    ReplyDelete